The City of Vale is a town rich with Eastern Oregon history. Incorporated as a town in 1889, the location was in use for many years previously, first by explorers then trappers and finally travelers and emigrants along the Oregon Trail. The hot springs made it a popular stopping location. The Old Stone House, or Rinehart House and shown in an artist’s rendition at right, was used as an inn for many years especially as a stage stop between Boise and the Willamette Valley. The house was restored by the Malheur Historical Project and was reopened in 1995 as a museum.
Today, Vale is still a popular stopping place for travelers. Besides exploring the history of the Oregon Trail, there are many destinations for hunting (especially pheasants), fishing and camping.